[Sca-cooks] Toasts was bread and butter-Long

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 26 17:19:19 PDT 2002

Just as a matter of interest, I did an OED
search and turned up the following quotes--
from the entries on "toast" and "bread" etc.

1617 Moryson Itin. iii. 53 All within the sound of Bow Bell, are in
reproch called Cocknies, and eaters of buttered tostes.

So at least toast was being eaten with butter by that year.

In keeping with the definition
"(With a and pl.) A slice or piece of bread browned at the fire: often
put in wine, water, or other beverage" some of the earlier quotes talk
about toast and wine...

1541 R. Copland Guydon's Quest. Chirurg. N j, Gyue hym a toste with
wyne.

1573 L. Lloyd Marrow of Hist. (1653) 94 Alphonsus..took a toast out of
his cup, and cast it to the dog.

1598 Shaks. Merry W. iii. v. 3 Go, fetch me a quart of Sacke, put a tost
in 't.

This continues as "Coupled with the liquid in which the toast is
immersed, as ale and toast, toast and ale, toast and water; whence
toast-and-watered adj., confined to a diet of toast and water." Keep in
mind we still refer to bread and water as a punishment.... there was
also "toast-water, water in which toasted bread has been steeped, used
as a drink for invalids, etc."

1586 Day Eng. Secretary ii. (1625) 47 How I drunk vp my grandams ale and
toste.

As regards the phrase bread and butter OED goes back to:

1630 Wadsworth Sp. Pilgr. iii. 15 Euery one hath..a peece of bread and
butter.

But earlier than that is the quote that goes along with:
"Of or pertaining to the age when bread-and-butter is extensively
consumed; boyish, girlish; esp. (cf. quot. 1817 in 1) school-girlish.)

A. 1625 Beaum. & Fl; Hum. Lieut. iii. vi, Ye bread-and-butter rogues, do
ye run from me?

 As to "bread buttered on both sides meaning great good fortune, lucky
circumstances" this is even earlier according to OED...

C. 1380 Sir Ferumb. 2986 Wel sone hur bred was y-bake&revsc. hure
lif-dawes wern ago;

A. 1500 Songs & Carols 15th C; (1856) 4 The eldest dowter swor, be bred
of qwete.

1562 J. Heywood Prov. & Epigr; (1867) 71, I know on which syde my bread
is buttred.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway