[Sca-cooks] juniper berries

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 26 21:54:56 PDT 2002

Isabella asked:

> Gee, from there, I guess you could take and squish the leftover seeds, add =
> sugar and let it ferment, making gin?

Anyone know how old the making of gin is?

> If anyone is up to trying, I have about 500 juniper trees on my property, h=
> ere in New Mexico. I'll send you some.

Juniper berries do show up in a number of medieval recipes. I bought
some at the Pepperer's Guild last year at Pennsic but haven't used
any of the yet.

You might go to the first page in the Florilegium and use the

search engine there. Put in "juniper" and you will find a number of
period recipes that call for juniper berries and several cordials
and other beverages.

Now, do you also have a bunch of pinion pine trees, which would

provide you with some pine nuts? which can be rather expensive
elsewhere? There are some candy and other nice recipes that use
those. Also in the Florilegium. :-)

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net