[Sca-cooks] period piadina?

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Aug 27 22:49:22 PDT 2002

Solwerlad replied to me with:
> MSH> Does anyone have
> MSH> any evidence for wrap-like things with a flat bread of some type
> MSH> being period?

> Not exactly a "wrap" or "sandwich", rather a half-of:
>
> Slete Soppes:  Take white of leeks and slyt hem and do hem to seeth in
> wyne, oile and salt.  Rost brede and lay in dysshes and the sew above
> and serve it forth.
>
> [Slit Sops:  Take the white of leeks and slit them.  Boil them in wine,
> oil and salt.  Toast bread and place it in dishes with the stew above,
> and serve it forth.]
>
> This is from "The Forme of Cury".
> Tastes surprisingly good, by-the-way.

Thank you, Solwerlad. This will make a good addition to my sops-msg

file. But although it is pretty close to what we would call today,
an open-faced sandwich, it really wasn't what I was looking for in
a period equivalent to a "sandwich".

I guess I can see here why they wouldn't have simply placed another

piece of bread on top of a sop and eaten it that way. It would have
been rather messy. Maybe their bread was too dry without the juices
on top of it to eat it comfortably and with the sauces too messy?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net