[Sca-cooks] period piadina?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 27 13:23:26 PDT 2002

>  Does anyone have
>MSH> any evidence for wrap-like things with a flat bread of some type
>MSH> being period?
>
>MSH> Did no one think of what we would call a sandwich or wrap in period?
>MSH> Or was there something that took it's place in their minds? Or was
>MSH> there something that made a sandwich impractical in those times and
>MSH> cultures? Or some humoral or other bit of philosophy that would have
>MSH> worked against the "sandwich" being done in period?
>
>Not exactly a "wrap" or "sandwich", rather a half-of:
>
>Slete Soppes:  Take white of leeks and slyt hem and do hem to seeth in
>wyne, oile and salt.  Rost brede and lay in dysshes and the sew above
>and serve it forth.
>
>[Slit Sops:  Take the white of leeks and slit them.  Boil them in wine,
>oil and salt.  Toast bread and place it in dishes with the stew above,
>and serve it forth.]
>
>This is from "The Forme of Cury".
>Tastes surprisingly good, by-the-way.
>--
>Solwerlad.

Sounds like the pre-curser to french onion soup!
1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons)
8 cups onions, thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons flour
3 quarts beef stock
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup brandy
1 teaspoon BV meat glaze (or kitchen bouquet, bovril, or oxo, in a
pinch)--optional
grated Gruyere cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
French bread
olive oil
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven and add the onions, stirring constantly.
cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
In the meantime, cut slices of French bread into 1/2 inch pieces and toast
them at 350 degrees in the oven for about 15 minutes--until they are dry
crusts.

When the onions are soft, sprinkle them with flour, stir, then add 2 cups of
beef stock and stir until the mixture is thickened. Add the remaining stock,
stir into 1 Tablespoon of salt, the pepper, and the brandy. Bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour. Add the meat glaze and taste for
seasoning.

When you're ready to serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls and cover
each with a thick handful of Gruyere cheese. Top each with a piece of the
toasted bread, which has been drizzled with olive oil. Sprinkle it with the
Parmesan, then run them under a broiler for a few minutes and carry out to
the table.