[Sca-cooks] period piadina?

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Aug 27 16:38:45 PDT 2002

Solwerlad wrote:
> Not exactly a "wrap" or "sandwich", rather a half-of:
>
> Slete Soppes:  Take white of leeks and slyt hem and do hem to seeth in
> wyne, oile and salt.  Rost brede and lay in dysshes and the sew above
> and serve it forth.
>
> [Slit Sops:  Take the white of leeks and slit them.  Boil them in wine,
> oil and salt.  Toast bread and place it in dishes with the stew above,
> and serve it forth.]

If we were to count stuff served on soppes, half of Elizabethan cuisine
at least would count.  But I think that a stew/potage/etc is too sloppy
to count for the "sandwich" thing.  The difference is that a sandwich is
a convenience food which can be eaten in the hand and the bread protects
your hands from the messiness of the contents, whereas something served
on soppes needs a plate or bowl to eat it, and the bread gets all mushed
and you eat the mushy bread with a spoon (or use it to mop up the sauce
if it's not *too* mushy yet) when you're done.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/