[Sca-cooks] period piadina?

Solwerlad fitzlancelot at seznam.cz
Tue Aug 27 13:02:42 PDT 2002

 Does anyone have
MSH> any evidence for wrap-like things with a flat bread of some type
MSH> being period?

MSH> Did no one think of what we would call a sandwich or wrap in period?
MSH> Or was there something that took it's place in their minds? Or was
MSH> there something that made a sandwich impractical in those times and
MSH> cultures? Or some humoral or other bit of philosophy that would have
MSH> worked against the "sandwich" being done in period?

Not exactly a "wrap" or "sandwich", rather a half-of:

Slete Soppes:  Take white of leeks and slyt hem and do hem to seeth in
wyne, oile and salt.  Rost brede and lay in dysshes and the sew above
and serve it forth.

[Slit Sops:  Take the white of leeks and slit them.  Boil them in wine,
oil and salt.  Toast bread and place it in dishes with the stew above,
and serve it forth.]

This is from "The Forme of Cury".
Tastes surprisingly good, by-the-way.

--