[Sca-cooks] period piadina?

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 26 21:45:58 PDT 2002

Nanna answered my question with:

> Stefan asked:
>> What is a piadina"?
>
> Italian flatbread, very common in Emilia Romagna, where I was. It is usually
> eaten hot, either wrapped around prosciutto, cheese, rucola or other goodies
> as a snack or as breakfast or lunch, or it may be served with all kinds of
> dishes. Very good, but I needed a change.

I wonder how far back this piadina goes? Could it be period? We've
talked before about how most of the ingredients for a sandwich or
a hamburger existed in period, but they don't seem to have been
made. This piadina sounds similar to a sandwich. Does anyone have
any evidence for wrap-like things with a flat bread of some type
being period?

Did no one think of what we would call a sandwich or wrap in period?
Or was there something that took it's place in their minds? Or was
there something that made a sandwich impractical in those times and
cultures? Or some humoral or other bit of philosophy that would have
worked against the "sandwich" being done in period?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net