[Sca-cooks] beans

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 26 22:53:13 PDT 2002

Adamantius asked:

> So, here's another, related question: why black beans? I have a
> restaurant near my home, more or less Latino-Caribbean cuisine, and a
> lot of what they sell comes with either black or red beans. It seems
> as if you can tell if the customer is Cuban or Dominican when they
> order the black beans, or Puerto Rican or Mexican if they order the
> red. Texans, I gather, would rather have pintos, but will settle for
> red.

I don't know that I've ever seen the red beans served. At a number of
the Mexican/Central American/Tex-Mex resturants here in Austin you
can get whole black beans, refried (smashed) pinto beans or Borracho

beans (whole pinto beans cooked with onions, peppers and other

seasonings). I

think I have also seen refried beans made with black beans as well.
I think the black beans may be more of a central Mexico or Central
America thing and the pinto beans more from northern Mexico.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net