[Sca-cooks] Compound Salat- was A cheesy question

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 27 09:31:29 PDT 2002

I was sending this along to my food staff for our upcoming event, and so I
thought I'd resend it here as well, since I suggested it as an alternative
to so much cheese in the 'Cheesy Question' thread.
Christianna

THe recipe we use in the Madrone Culinary GUild is a huge hit every
time....we
actually get little green salat back. wonders never cease! :)
all rights reserved, no publichation without permission, etc etc etc....:)
Anne-Marie

COMPOUND SALAT:

Salat [Forme of Curye XX III.XXVI]
Take persel, sawge, garlee, chibon [chives], oynons, leek, borage, mynt,
porrect, fenel and ton tressis [gloss], rew, rosemarye, purslayre, lave and
waische hem clene, pike hem, pluk ye small with thyn honde and mynge hem wel
with rawe oile, layor vyneg and salt, and serve it forth.

Compound Sallet [The English Hous-wife, 1615]: To compound an excellet
Sallet,
and which indeed is usuall at great Feasts, and upon Princes Tables, take a
good quantity of blancht Almonds, and with your shredding knife cut them
grossly. Then take as many Raisins of the Sun clean washt, and the stones
pickt
out, as many Figs shred like the Almonds, as many Capers, twice so many
Olives,
and as many Currants as of all the rest, clean washt, a good handfull of the
small tender leaves of red Sage and Spinage: mixe all these well together
with
good store of Sugar, and lay them in the bottom of a great dish. Then put
unto
them Vineger and Oyl, and scrape more Suger over all: then take Oranges and
Lemmons, and paring away the outward pilles cut them into thinne slices.
Then
with those slices cover the Sallet all over. Then over those Red leaves lay
other course of old Olives, and the slices of well pickled Cucumbers,
together
with the very inward heart of Cabbage lettice cut into slices. Then adorn
the
sides of the dish, and the top of the Sallet with more slices of Lemons and
Oranges, and so serve it up.

Our version:
0.125 c. slivered almonds
1 oz capers
2 oz currants
0.125 c. figs
1 tsp lemon juice
1.5 heads of lettuce, spinach and other greens
1/4 c. olive oil
2 oz olives
1 orange, peeled and sliced (no white part). Reserve half for garnish
1 oz sweet pickles
0.125 c. raisens
1 pinch salt
1 tsp sugar
0.5 c. balsamic vinegar
4-5 lemon slices for garnish

Slice, chop and/or shred all ingredients. Layer in a nice salad bowl. Make a
vinegrette dressing from the oil, vinegar, salt and sugar. Pour on Sallet,
sprinkle with lemon juice and serve, garnished with lemon and orange slices.