[Sca-cooks] Search on Buttered

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Aug 27 18:05:26 PDT 2002

Continuing my OED searching--
under "Buttered" OED says

buttered b.td, ppl. a. [f. butter v.1 ]
1. Smeared or spread with butter.

1496 Bk. St. Albans, Fysshynge 30 Browne breede tostyd wyth hony in
lyknesse of a butteryd loof.

Given that it was bread and honey and mentioned a buttered loaf, I
thought this was rather interesting and since I am already familiar with
the work, I tracked down the volume on EEBO. This edition of the Boke of
St. Albans from 1496 is not the earliest
edition of this work, but it is the first to include the section on
fishing. (It's one of the earliest printed works on fishing, in
fact.)For those with access to EEBO, the STC number is 3309.
Unfortunately, the work is not paged. It took some time to identify that
the work on "Fysshynge" starts with image 38 or approximately 75-76
pages into the work. Ran out of time and had to quit that search.

When I returned to the search this evening, I tried a different approach
and found a website entitled: A History of Fly Fishing by Dr. Andrew N.
Herd which includes a modern translation of the angling work...
http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/treatise_prologue.htm
where the phrase can more easily be located--

A tench is a good fish: and heals all sorts of other fish that are hurt
if they can come to him...... He is a poor biter. His baits are these.
For all the year brown bread toasted with honey in the likeness of a
buttered loaf: and the great red worm. And for the best bait take the
black blood in the heart of a sheep and flour and honey. Work them all
together somewhat softer than paste, and anoint therewith the red worm:
both for this fish and for others. And they will bite much better
thereat at all times.

So here we have it--- brown bread toasted with honey in the likeness of
a buttered loaf for baiting a tench...

Interesting, huh?

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

There's also "buttered ale (beer): see ale 4.
1547 Boorde Breu. Health (1552) 120, A remedy [for hoarseness]..drynke
buttered Ale or buttered beere"