[Sca-cooks] Freezing food

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:29:15 PDT 2002

>You froze the food in regular, store bought plastic zip lock bags?
>Freezer bags or storage bags? And then you dropped the bags of food
>including the plastic into the boiling water to thaw and warm them
>up???

I've done this with most of my feasts. Pre-cook and bag them.
Then, at the feast site either boil-in-bag, microwave or defrost
and reheat. It depends on the dish and kitchen facilities
When cooking for 300+ it is nice to have as many conveniences
as possible. I also know ahead of time just how much food I have
and what things need to be changed before the last minute.

Of course it makes for some pretty late nights a few weeks before
the feast and you need some place to keep it frozen. ("Excuse me,
could we borrow your freezer? We have 50 gallons of Chicken
Bruet that needs a home.)

>The bags don't melt? Or
>break open strewing the food into the boiling water? Hmmm.

Get heavy duty freezer bags. And I sometimes double bag them
just to be safe.

>THLord Stefan li Rous

Gunthar