[Sca-cooks] kumiss

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Aug 29 23:04:37 PDT 2002

Selene Colfox commented:

>> > or c) "Mongolian Tea," i.e., brick tea boiled in milk. Tsampa, tea with
>> > butter and other things was also consumed. For lack of period recipes use
>> > modern Tibetan ones. "Mongolian Tea," by the way, which I have had, is
>> > excellent. However, in general, no self-respecting Mongol during the period
>> > would have been without his kumiss. That was THE prestige food. If you can't
>>
>> > get horse kumiss, use camel.
>
> I don't know where he lives, but in SoCal we see more horses than camels.  I
> suppose if I put the word out to the Caid list that I'd like some mare's milk
> for experimentation, I'd get razzed horribly,  so I'm out of luck anyway.

If you can get some, Please do. I don't have any personal experience
commentary in the Florilegium on actually working with real mare's
milk except:
---------

> THe only place I know to get mare's milk is to find someone who raises
> horses and talk them into milking a mare or two during foaling season.
> They will probably look askance at you for making such a request, since
> milking horses is not (to my knowledge) a very common practice in the
> U.S. Still, if you tell them it's for medaeval research, they may be more
> accomodating.
>
> I have a friend who's family raises Shires, the biggest horse in existence,
> but she has yet to talk her father into milking one of them. This is a
> daunting task on even as horse a small as the ones common to the steppe,
> and even more so on one as large as a Shire. She once told me of a foal
> their mare had that stood nearly eleven hands at birth. That's a big baby.
>
> Corun

:-)

> Will
> cow's or goat's milk approach the "real" thing?  [I'm looking it up in the
> Florilegium after work, honest.]

Yep, check this file in the beverages section.

kumiss-msg        (36K)  7/17/02    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.

There are directions, just no personal experiences.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net