[Sca-cooks] cross-dressing

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 31 00:36:06 PDT 2002

Kolfrosta replied to me with:
>>Okay. See this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium: :-)
>>cross-dressng-msg  (4K)  8/29/00    Cross-dressing in period.
>>
>>It did tend to be girls dressing as boys rather than the other way
>>around, for various reasons.
>
> Norse women were actually allowed to dress in pants and pick up weapons
> training at the age ot 12.  Unfortunately they were strongly encouraged to
> dress like a lady and put her weapons down in favour of a proper ladylike
> life at the age of 20.  Some women actually defied their families and to
> avoid being exiled they came up with a term "Man souled woman"  They were
> not allowed to marry or hold any of the female responsibilities in the
> community.  This happened so rarely I only found reference to it
> twice.  I'll pull it up from the library and copy it again for all should
> they want it. :)

Please do! This is the first I've heard of this. I'd love to have more
information, especially with referances or a bibliography. My file above
is rather small. Somewhere I have a class handout on the "Roaring Girls"
of the (I think) 1560s. Sort of like the 20th Century Flappers. But
they aren't in the files yet.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net