[Sca-cooks] Cracked Barley

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 5 09:19:12 PDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:59:12 -0700 lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> I would like to make either a couscous or a
> polenta of cracked wheat
> for my Mediterranean Feast.
>
> Now, i can't recall ever seeing cracked barley
> for sale in any of the
> myriad stores i frequent.

Serendipitously, I bought a package yesterday at a health food store.  It was
with the packaged grains and cereals, not the bulk products, and was labelled
"barley grits".  The particular brand was Shiloh Farms, but I'm sure they're
not the only producer.

> Has anyone ever seen any? Any suggestions on
> how to make my own?

I gave it a quick try with my food processor and blender.  Result: a mixture
of whole barley and barley flour.  Morter and pestle worked quite well, though
I wouldn't want to do it that way in feast quantities.  If you don't want to
invest in a grain mill, perhaps a coffee grinder -- the kind that deposits the
grounds in a separate chamber, not the kind that is a mini food processor.

> Should i wait until after Pennsic to ask?

If my answers are not helpful, and no others are posted, I would suggest
posting again after Pennsic.

> Anahita

Brighid ni Chiarain