[Sca-cooks] Cracked Barley

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 09:33:14 PDT 2002

>I haven't received a digest of the list since 10AM on Sunday... Now,
>i know lots of folks are at or on their way to Pennsic, but this is
>ridiculous :-) I get digests with 2 or 3 messages...
>
>So, to perk things up a bit...
>
>I would like to make either a couscous or a polenta of cracked wheat
>for my Mediterranean Feast.
>
>Now, i can't recall ever seeing cracked barley for sale in any of the
>myriad stores i frequent.
>
>Has anyone ever seen any? Any suggestions on how to make my own?
>Should i wait until after Pennsic to ask?
>
>Anahita

Hi Anahita.  Yup, things have been dead as a doornail on the list for a few
days already.  It looks like folks can only talk so much about
Ever(something) on a food list before it just fizzles out.

I don't know that I have seen cracked barley for sale either.  My first
thought was that I *had* seen it sold as a breakfast mush food and I have
been trying to pin down why I think that.  Can't come up with a good visual
though, so I may be wrong, but it seems it was one of those imported pricey
things.  I would certainly be easy enough to do your own.  If you have a
good grain morter/pestle, or perhaps even in a food processer.
Olwen