[Sca-cooks] RE:dec2001 WINGS

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 5 15:49:29 PDT 2002

Also sprach DAVE & HARRIET:
>I came across your site while trying to find the place of purchase for
>Mae Ploy sweet and sour sauce. I'm in hopes that you will be able to
>help me. Some friends of ours recently were on vacation and brought this
>sauce on wings to a party last eve. We are in the middle of Ks and i
>cannot find a site which has this sauce listed.
>ANY  help would be joy!! Am i correct in reading that it is labeled for
>chicken? this sauce is transluscent (red tone),red peppers,garlic,and I
>would assume vinegar. It is fantastic!
>THANK YOU--- H Honderick

Hello, Harriet! Ordinarily this list deals (in theory) with
historical cookery, generally medieval and renaissance cookery, but
we tend to have broad interests, so maybe we can help.

A quick web search shows a listing for a Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
for Chicken at:
http://www.hoohing.com/acatalog/Products_Sauces_35.html
--you'll have to scroll down a bit; they're in alphabetical order,
and there's a picture of the bottle, if that helps.

And these people seem to sell the same sauce by mail-order for U.S. dollars:
http://www.asiamex.com/tayabas/maeploysweet.html

I assume this is a Thai sauce (looking at the bottle and the writing
thereon); there are probably American cities not far from you where
either this sauce, or something like it, can be bought. Sriracha is
another generic, Thai sweet chili sauce, a bit like tomato ketchup
made with not-very-hot red chilis instead of tomatoes, plus garlic,
sold by many different companies, and if you like the Mae Ploy sauce
you might find it more easily and like it, too; there are probably a
lot of places to get Thai groceries online, but not necessarily that
brand. I'm afraid I can't find a reference to a Mae Ploy Sweet and
Sour Sauce, though... I'm hoping the above is what you were talking
about.

Hope this helps!

Phil Troy