[Sca-cooks] Chop, chop, Master A, was: New topics for discussion...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 5 18:38:34 PDT 2002

Also sprach Finnebhir Littlecreek:
>Noope Master A. I have to agree that is a problem, but it seems(to
>me) to stem from the fact that most Amuricans can't use chopsticks
>proficiently enough to pickup a single grain of rice, which is ISTR
>the proper gauge of good etiquette. However, it's also that most
>people are used to simply shoveling food into their mouth without
>taking the time to chew and appreciate the nuiances of good cooking
>and seasoning. The finer the pieces, the longer it should take to
>eat. Doesn't quite fit with the fast paced modern lifestyle...

Hmmm. I'm not sure I buy that. I'm not talking about eating one shred
at a time, and most of the Asians I know _do_ frequently shovel their
food into their mouths. I mean, they can also pick up a single grain
of rice, and also are good at shelling prawns, etc., with chopsticks,
but one point behind shredding the food finely is to help blend the
flavors and get a tender texture without overcooking the dish. Does
finely shredded cole slaw take any longer to eat than coarsely
shredded?

Yeah, I know all about how Americans inherently are boorish slobs.
I've been hearing it all my life from non-Americans who invented
communicating with "foreigners" by shouting at them in English, from
the nation whose written Latin became so bad that a bunch of Irish
monks determined that it was no longer Latin, but a new Romance
language invented by accident, and which culture is now very big on
protecting the purity of their language, and a slew of other,
inherently more refined, urbane, and sophisticated groups. I'm not
feeling especially inferior. That must be the basis for my
inferiority, that I am unable to sense this basic truth... ;-)

But to get back on topic, I'd be more inclined to consider it a
fiscal measure, such as 'Lainie describes. I realize that I have a
rather rare eye for detail in the appearance of food (odd,
considering that I'm very much a design minimalist), but even
inferior 'Muricans, when faced with a beautifully uniform mixture of
finely diced or shredded foods, can appreciate both its beauty and
the work that went into preparing it that way. I wonder if it's that
people no longer _look_ at take-out food with any kind of eye for
beauty, take-out not being usually the best presentation milieu.

>As for using sticks left or right- handed, it just takes practice. I
>know it took me quite a long time to get food to my mouth with my
>left hand, but with TONS of practice I can do it, though sometimes
>messily...

To be honest, I have no idea if I can eat with chopsticks
left-handed. I might, but I don't recall ever trying. I assume a
little practice would develop sufficient skill. I mean, if you lose
your right hand, you're more likely to die of blood loss than of
starvation, no?

Adamantius (who especially hates huge chunks of Bell pepper --unless
they're stuffed-- and gratuitous water chestnuts in dishes from parts
of China where water chestnuts don't grow)