[Sca-cooks] Regional names for common egg dish...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 6 13:06:58 PDT 2002

Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>Hmm..the hard boiled eggs in cream sauce with onion sound great to me!
>Never had it, but wouldn't mind having the recipe.

Make cream sauce. Add hard-boiled eggs. Reheat. Serve over toast,
rice, taters, etc. Eat. If you're a child, complain about the low
circumstances into which your family (too stupid to know any better)
has fallen... ;-)

In other words,

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk and/or cream (half-and-half works great)
1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
  ~ 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional) OR
pinch cayenne (optional)
~6 eggs, hard-boiled, shelled, sliced or quartered

Melt the butter, add chopped onion (if using), saute on low heat for
3 or four minutes, or until translucent (DO NOT BROWN). Add flour,
stirring to make a roux, which you also cook for three minutes or so
without browning (it may go blonde, but that's as brown as you want
it). Remove from heat and add milk or cream, whisking to eliminate
lumps. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then lower heat and
simmer for 20 minutes. Add seasonings, then eggs, then taste to check
seasoning and adjust as needed. Only reheat the eggs, or they'll
become tough.

Some people like to add cheese to this...

If you're using bananas, try the cayenne or, even better, a
tablespoon of curry powder ;-)

>   I love eggs cooked just
>about any way except fried in bacon grease (ick, what is ~that~ about?).

It's about a culture predating central heating? I don't have a
problem with that, actually. Far preferable to eggs cooked in
(shudder) corn oil.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER