[Sca-cooks] Simple pleasures (OOP)

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Aug 7 15:34:05 PDT 2002

> I want to remind everyone to exercise extreme caution when handling rice
in
> such manner.  There is a bacteria (or other type of nasty, can't remember
> what or name) that develops in rice, in about 4 hours.  It is impervious
> hot or cold.  That means freezing it, or boiling the sh*t out of it won't
> kill it.
>
> Make sure that your rice never remains in the danger zone for more than a
> couple hours.  Danger zone being from about 4C to about 65C.  That
includes
> the time it was sitting on the counter cooling down, and the time
reheating
> etc...

Muiredach, you are thinking of a bacterium called _Bacillus cereus_, which
is a spore-forming organism. It produces two toxins. One is heat- and
acid-labile (i.e. breaks down under heat or acid treatment) which causes
diarrhea 6-24 hrs after exposure, and one which is extraordinarily
heat-stable, as well as resistant to acid and digestive enzymes, which
causes vomiting in 1-6 hours. (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
43(10):1994 Mar 18)

> On Brown Rice...  My Tai-Chi Sifu was saying that he wouldn't bother
eating
> brown rice.  He says that brown rice is indeed better for you, but it
takes
> more energy to digest than it brings you, and he prefered white rice for
> that reason.  Might have been a fancy way to justify his not eating brown
> rice...  :-)

He's right... which is why many dieters like brown rice.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: I used to be amused. Now I'm just bored.