[Sca-cooks] Other economy meals OOP

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Aug 7 15:38:40 PDT 2002

> New York's great Depression-era treat, the Egg Cream. No eggs, no cream,
but the
> appelation made it sound luxurious in a meagre age.  A shot of chocolate
syrup,
> a very little milk [really no more milk than syrup, most moderns make it
too
> milky], fill the glass with soda water.  My dad would buy "imported" Fox's
U-Bet
> Syrup and invested in a home model selzer bottle with the little C02
cartridges,
> just to get that perfect taste in the 1970's to share with us kids.

Well, one theory for the name is this: it originated in the Jewish Lower
East Side tenements of New York. It is hypothesized, since there is no egg
in it, that the name was originally "echt" cream, echt being the Yiddish
word for "right" or "perfect". That is, it's the "perfect" way to drink
cream.

I don't make this stuff up, I swear. Claudia Roden, I think.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: A choice is always possible, even without any options.