[Sca-cooks] Re: regional names for egg dishes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Aug 8 10:51:49 PDT 2002

At 12:09 PM 8/8/02 EDT, you wrote:

*sound of jaw dropping on floor*

> My
>grandfather was captured at the Battle of the Bulge and put in a prisoner
>camp. My grandmother was left with a new baby (my mom) and no idea if my
>grandfather was alive or not. She probably didn't have much money and food
>items were rationed. Hmmm.... food for thought!
>Peldyn

So was my Grandfather! My mom's Dad. He weighed 130# when he came home (six
feet tall) and for the rest of his life refused to eat any soup whatsoever
unless there was at least a half a package of crackers in it. Some parts
must have been ok though- My mom was born about 9 months and ten minutes
after he came home... ;-D)

My mom always blamed her mother's interesting culinary expeditions  as hold
over from growing up in rural Missouri during the Depression. The family
went to California (didn't everyone?) in teh late 30's but they still
cooked as though they were on the farm. Never met a meal she couldn't
oversalt, or a vegetable that couldn't be turned into olive drab mush.

Other side of the family though- Mennonites- Boy-howdy! There's good eatin'!

'Lainie