[Sca-cooks] Re: regional names for egg dishes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Aug 8 19:22:34 PDT 2002

At 08:09 PM 8/8/02 -0600, you wrote:
>You eat Mennonites?
>--Maire, running for the Rock as fast as she can.......
>
>"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:
>> Other side of the family though- Mennonites- Boy-howdy! There's good
eatin'!

You can't out-run me! I'm a MOM!

Silly Maire...

Actually though, the best food in the world can be had at a Klaassen family
funeral. Especially if the Jantzens and Friesens and Sawatzkys are there.
And Grandma... oh could she bake! If it used yeast, hers was higher and
lighter and softer and tastier than anywhere...

My aunts, going through her things after she died, couldn't find her
cookbooks. They asked Uncle Herman, becasue Gram had lived with he and Alma
the last few years. Oh, they weren't important, they were just ratty old
books- so he'd sold them at a garage sale. He was nearly murdered on the
spot. (Too late to finish the job- he died in the plane crash in Colorado
years back- the one with the ice on the wings).

They were living in Mountain Home Idaho then, so if anyone in Artemisia
comes accross some old cookbooks, partly handwritten, in a spidery
old-style hand, with the name Agnes Klaassen anywhere in them- let me know-
I'll sell a kids or something and buy them from you!

Ooohh... what I wouldn't give for one of her caramel rolls about now...

'Lainie