Joke evolution: was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: regional names for egg dishes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Aug 9 02:33:25 PDT 2002

At 05:19 AM 8/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>>>
>>>Anything that moves, except missionaries :-)
>>
>>"But I'm not a Stewing Missionary, I'm a Fricasseein' Missionary, see?"
>>
>>[pulls up sock to show tattoo on leg: FRICASSEE ONLY]
>
>Hmmm. Interesting. That's always been an interesting visual and a bit
>of non-logic, but I note that the pun aspect is now officially lost
>(officially, as in, no longer recognized by Warner Brothers). Once
>upon a time, this particular type of humor (and believe me, I'm
>rolling in the aisles here ;-)  ) was taken from an old, bad joke
>about boiling missionaries in a big pot, and one objecting to that,
>as he was a _friar_.
>
>Maybe it loses something in the translation from print to speech?

Soooo... What's up, Magister? ;-)

I was making deliberate reference to the bit with Bugs Bunny, saying he
wasn't a fwicassein' wabbit- so I guess it didn't lose much in the
translation.

The 'you can't boil me- I'm a Friar!' made it to Garrison Keillor's Joke
Show recently. Old stinker but it always gets a laugh.

Obligatory food content: So, what hte heck _is_ fricasseein', anyway? How
is it different from frying?

Fire away!
'Lainie