Joke evolution: was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: regional names for egg dishes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 9 02:19:45 PDT 2002

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 10:07 PM 8/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>At 10:09 PM 8/8/2002, you wrote:
>>>You eat Mennonites?
>>
>>Anything that moves, except missionaries :-)
>
>"But I'm not a Stewing Missionary, I'm a Fricasseein' Missionary, see?"
>
>[pulls up sock to show tattoo on leg: FRICASSEE ONLY]

Hmmm. Interesting. That's always been an interesting visual and a bit
of non-logic, but I note that the pun aspect is now officially lost
(officially, as in, no longer recognized by Warner Brothers). Once
upon a time, this particular type of humor (and believe me, I'm
rolling in the aisles here ;-)  ) was taken from an old, bad joke
about boiling missionaries in a big pot, and one objecting to that,
as he was a _friar_.

Maybe it loses something in the translation from print to speech?

Adamantius