Joke evolution: was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: regional names for eggdishes

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 11:58:46 PDT 2002

"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
> >"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:
> >
> >>  Hmmm. Interesting. That's always been an interesting visual and a bit
> >>  of non-logic, but I note that the pun aspect is now officially lost
> >>  (officially, as in, no longer recognized by Warner Brothers).
> >
> >I don't know why you say that, unless you mean how the WB has become the
> >All-Pokemon Channel this past year.  Just before that, Tiny Toons,
> >Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain were gloriously pun-filled. <narf!>
> >
> >Yours in toonage,
> >Selene C.
>
> No, I was referring only to that specific pun, as the gag is used by
> WB. IOW, the transition from, "The missionary those cannibals ate
> last night seemed to disagree with them, but then they did boil him,
> and he was a friar," to, "Hey, ya can't put me in dat pot, doc! I'm a
> fryer!" Now, of course, Bugs is speaking, not writing, so homophones
> are tough to interpret, but AFAIK he has never been a member of any
> kind of clergy. Hmmm. Now _there's_ an idea.

Yes he was, in the cartoon ["Be-Devilled Hare"?] where he performs a
wedding:  "I now pronounce you Devil and Devilish!"  Also, Porky has, and so
has Daffy, briefly.  "Just call me... Friar Duck!"

> Hey, do you know where I can get some kind of video of Pinky singing
> about the Cheeses From Around The Woild? Possibly the most surreal
> thing I've ever seen...

Cheese, hey, we're on topic!  Almost.  "Cheese Roll Call" does not appear to
be included on any commecially available home video that I can find.  It does
appear on Rhino Records' CD ANIMANIACS VARIETY PAK, 1995.
Audio preview available
<http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,219130,00.html>

Helpfully, Selene C.