[Sca-cooks] Knight Cooks

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 12:07:00 PDT 2002

> In a message dated 08/09/2002 2:37:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> CorwynWdwd at aol.com writes:
>
> > Does anyone remember a thread awhile back about a Knight who was the head
> >  cook for a particular court who committed suicide when  the fish he ordered
> >  was late? I'd like to reference it.
>
> Wasn't that a scene from Vatel? Toward the end?
>
> Ilaria

That was indeed the centuries-old "urban legend" about   Francois Vatel, not a
knight but the maître d’hôtel with Nicolas Fouquet and Controller General with the
Condé .  Certainly he committed suicide;  there were probably other motives
besides.  The movie implies that he was despondent over a woman as well as over
the lack of fish for the king's table.  It's just post-SCA period, but definately
worth watching.

YKYITSCA time... Me, Jared, Huette and Bonne went to this movie together and
laughed and shrieked and groaned in places that nobody else in the audience did.

Selene Colfox, Caid