Spanish Cheese and guords (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Spanish Cheese?)

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 11 14:22:33 PDT 2002

(...snip...)

> Both recipes (see below,) Catalan in origin, call for grated aged
> cheese. What type of cheeses do you suppose they were using? I'm
> willing to test with a more expensive cheese (such as imported
> Manchego or other). But i'll probably want to use a less expensive
> version at the feast (well, depends on the price around here, of
> course). I'm cooking for between 60 and 80. What would be a
> reasonable substitute to use at the feast?
>
> I suspect that a couple of the folks most knowledgeable in Catalan
> food are away at the moment, but, well, i thought i'd ask. I'm
> planning to test this weekend.
>
> Anahita

Greetings from Thomas Lonshanks,

What were they using "in period"? No clue. Sheep and goat cheeses were the
most common cheeses in Catalunya at the time. And since you are using Nola,
you are also dealing with an Aragonese perspective on the dishes; so, one of
the hard, sheep or goat cheeses, such as manchego would be appropriate. If
you don't want to pay $11/lb for a good manchego or some other imported
Spanish/Catalan cheese, then I suggest a good quality parmesan or romano as
a relatively inexpensive substitute. Remember to compensate for the salt in
the cheese.

Old World (bottle) gourd stays fairly firm when cooked, but obtaining edible
bottle gourds in quantity is difficult, at best (at least in my part of the
U.S.). Cucuzzi (a summer squash) makes a good substitute for look, shape and
flavor, but cooks down and does not retain proper texture. "Patty pan"
squashes are the right color, texture and have good flavor, but aren't the
right shape. Since most of the recipes don't call for long cuts of squash, I
recommend patty pan as an economical substitute. Zuchs and yellow summer
squash don't work well, IMO.

Regards,
Thomas (back after a long and necessary break)