[Sca-cooks] Something Different?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Aug 11 21:08:42 PDT 2002

Oooh...I missed that one--does the Onion have archives?
It reminds me of the guy on 60 Minutes tonight, justifying profiling,
despite one of his interviewee's pointing out that the people who try to
justify invasions of privacy, etc., etc., are never those who will find
themselves *subject* to said invasions, etc., etc.  There was something
so..so..smug or something about the interviewer.  Very
disconcerting....and a good reminder of why I *don't* normally watch
t.v.
Oh...OFC....I made marmalade today (for gifts), using a couple of large
cans of pre-prepared Seville oranges (produced by some company in the
UK).  Well, I've never actually *tasted* a Seville orange, so I pinched
a bit of the goo, before it went into the jam pot.  It has to be about
the absolutely *nastiest* stuff I've ever tried to scrape off my
tongue.  The cat thought I was choking up a hairball....;-P
Gotta admit, though, it made mighty fine marmalade.  The bitterness was
there, just a little, just enough.  I can sure understand all the
instructions for multiple soaks and cookings now....<g>
It gave me an entirely different perspective on all the period recipes
that use these oranges--they're a cousin to the oranges we commonly eat
now, but the taste is *so* different.  Kinda like the difference between
verjuice-substitutes, and actual verjuice (which I got to play with for
the first time this week, as well)....
--Maire, learning to enjoy experimenting with real food.....