[Sca-cooks] Spanish Cheese?

Mon Aug 12 07:40:28 PDT 2002

Patty pan may be the closest thing to a bottle gourd you can buy at the
grocery, but bottle gourds have been known and used in the Americas from
about 7000 BC (IIRC).  They show up in archeological digs on the West Coast,
the earliest that I know of being in Mexico.

As for the butternut squash, that is a hybrid created by a French botantist
named Duchesne in the 18th (?) Century.  He is the same person who
cross-bred Chilean and Virginian strawberries to produce the modern hybrid
strawberry.

Bear