[Sca-cooks] Spanish Cheese?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Aug 12 21:52:55 PDT 2002

Yeah, I pretty much suspected that a butternut couldn't be the best of
choices, but it was just an experiment...and it came out tasty, but not
period.  I wanted a squash/gourd that would hold together during
cooking, and not disintegrate into slimy-ness, which is what I got when
I tried it with zucchini--texture was just *wrong* after cooking.  May
just be a personal texture issue, I dunno.... Which is not to say, of
course, that there *aren't* times when you want some of your ingredients
to become part of the sauce <g>, but the stuff I'm redacting will be
served over/with couscous (or perhaps one of the "grits" recipes), and
may have to be able to withstand a little reheating, so I was going more
for pieces of food that stayed in chunks.
I think I've got to try the pattypan next....;-)
Thanks for the ideas, everyone....
--Maire, one of the spanish squash and cheese cooks (lots of Spanish and
Moorish cooking going on, isn't there??? <g>)