[Sca-cooks] Redact?

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Wed Aug 14 00:20:37 PDT 2002

I considered the use of the term redact a while back.. the concise Oxford lists it as: "redact" Put into literary form, arrange for publication, edit. "redaction" Preparing or being prepared for publication, revision, editing, rearrangement, new edition.

Translate isn't right, because we are doing more than expressing it into another language.

Interpret "expound the meaning of, make out the meaning of, bring out the meaning of, render by artistic representation or performance, explain, understand, in specified manner" is closer than translate, but I am not sure that it is any better than redact.

In the end I concluded that "redact" was a reasonable word to use to describe what we do; we edit original recipes into a more modern "useable" form, even if not specifically for publication. My other conclusion was that the meaning that has been ascribed to the word "redact" by the medieval movement has become endemic enough that it would quite probably pass the criteria that dictionaries require to be added to the dictionary.

Kiriel