[Sca-cooks] Happy Assumption

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Wed Aug 14 12:36:30 PDT 2002

> Yup.  I'm a midwesterner too, but I lived in the south for 10 years (I'm
> just a yankee, because I moved back north - If I'd stayed in the south
> then I'd have been a "damn yankee").
>
> The fun part about the collard greens is that the way they're prepared
> in the south (steamed/boiled with bacon or fatback until they're soggy)
> is about right for Medieval Europe too.
>
> --
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>   Edouard Who Is Not Lainie's Edouard (Daniel Myers)
>   http://www.medievalcookery.com/

Well, that kind of makes sense - unfortunately I don't remember where I read
this, but in some ways southern and esp. Appalachian English (which if
you've never heard it is practically a language all of its own) is
supposedly as close as you can get to English as spoken in colonial days,
just post period - because these settlers in the mountains were *so*
isolated.  Of course, now that's all dying, but still... anyway, it stands
to reason that some of the cooking would also be very similar.

Generys