[Sca-cooks] a banner birthday- Dinner at the Rock

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 15 18:41:13 PDT 2002

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Uh, no, not really (not really aware of what congee/jouk *is*), although
>it sounds like tasty comfort food.
>No, I was primarily drooling at the lamb chops, etc.....
>Of course, tonight just about anybody's cooking except mine would look
>pretty darned good!
>--maire

Jook is rice (or sometimes millet) cooked in water or stock until it
dissolves into a thickish starchy solution, with broken bits of rice
in it. It ends up a little like Cream of Rice.  Plain jook is
considered by the Southern Chinese as food for the sick or elderly,
while jook made with stock or bones cooked in it, and/or garnished
with things like barbecued pork, cooked tripe, seasoned minced pork,
salted or ash-preserved duck eggs, etc., is a standard breakfast dish.

At our house we favor pei dan jook, with seasoned ground pork and
thousand-year duck eggs. A drop or two of dark soy is nice in it, as
is a tiny dab of sesame oil, which my wife claims is perverse...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER