[Sca-cooks] sugar substitute for wine making?

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 19 23:51:32 PDT 2002

Maire replied to me with:

> I've got a weird English book on making homemade wines, and they
> frequently add raisins or sultanas to their mixes--for "body", I think
> they say.  Never tried it, myself, but then I'm not that found of dried
> grapes!

But are they adding them pulverized or whole? Either way I'm not sure
that they are adding enough to really affect the body much.

As to disliking dried grapes (ie: raisins), after they've been in the
wine for awhile they will rehydrate and resemble grapes a lot more than
raisins.

Hmmm. I've still got an unopened bag of dried cranberries from Pennsic.
I wonder how they would taste rehydrated in wine...

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net