[Sca-cooks] Re: Wine Must and Honey?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 20 06:17:40 PDT 2002

Also sprach Elise Fleming:
>Bear clarified:
>
>>Must is the juice of pressed grapes, in other words, the basis of
>grape
>>wine. It has naturally occurring sugars which can be fermented.
>
>So... must _has_ sugars but it isn't a sugar, correct?  I want to be
>very careful about the concept and the words so that I am absolutely
>clear about it.  As I noted earlier, my friend would read the above
>quote and come to the conclusion (as s/he has already done) that
>must is therefore a sugar.  "Containing" a sugar and "being" a sugar
>are two different things to me...

If you look at the label of a bottle of unsweetened grape juice for
the nutritional values (something I just happened to do recently for
other reasons) you'll get a vague idea. I STR it's about 1/8 sugars,
overall. Must would be _fairly_ close to that, probably somewhat less
since grape juice is probably filtered, so some fiber mass is
removed, making the juice's sugar content overall that much higher
than that of must.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER