[Sca-cooks] Contribution to the SCA-Cooks potluck

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 08:09:41 PDT 2002

--- A F Murphy <afmmurphy at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I did chard cooked with verjuice. I was looking for
> some kind of greens,
> because I was sure I could get good fresh ones, and
> I had verjuice from
> trying something else.

I'm here to tell you, they were VERY good.

Our contribution was the Lamb Stew from Soup for the
Qan, in the pot over the fire. Many thanks to Johan
for helping so much with the smithing of the tripod,
and to Frederich and our camp members for getting the
fire set up and pre-thawing the leg of lamb. When I
came into camp, all I needed to do was add the
ingredients, and put everything over the fire and make
the rice.

The stew came out a bit watery- I had deliberately
added more water to prevent burning, but instead of
evaporating and cooking down as I had intended, the
skies opened up and added even more water, as well as
cooling down the coals and the pot, but it was still
good, and we had leftovers for a couple more meals,
including a lunch that our scullery crew very kindly
brought up to Johan's forge for us.

I hope you all got a chance to try it- I know the fire
was away from the main food tables, but I did try to
let you know it was there.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,