[Sca-cooks] Cooks Pot Luck - Bal-po Soup

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 13:55:31 PDT 2002

Here you go, Gunthar:

Reply: it is a not nice wooly sheep from Mongolia.
They are small, wool is
no good. I use "lamb" to reflect their small size and,
also, because
Mongolian sheep (mostly the males, females are kept
for milk) tend to get
eaten young. Not lamb in the QFC or Safeway sense, but
not randy old mutton
either. Actually, I almost always use goat for this
and similar recipes when
it I can get good goat meat for just the reason
indicated. Recently
co-author Anderson used Australian lamb for a Bal-po
soup and it was not
anywhere as good as the goat versions of the past.
Yes, use goat. You do
need a meat with some flavor (like real Mongolian
lamb). I bet Icelandic
lamb would work too, but try getting some of that
(especially the smoked
variety, which is absolutely and totally outstanding;
I have Icelandic
friends who smuggle it in their carry-on baggage and
have shared with the
likes of lowly me) outside of Iceland. Good points.
Paul

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,