[Sca-cooks] Cooks Pot Luck - Bal-po Soup

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 13:24:51 PDT 2002

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just thought about something. This is from
> "Soup for the Qan" right? "Soup" is a pretty
> old text as I remember. But the recipe calls for
> lamb. Was lamb used much in Asia?
>
> I just can't envision nice wooly sheep in China.
> Was it with goat or something?

According to Paul and his translation, sheep was in
fact the animal. One thing we had discussed was that
the sheep in question were smaller than modern sheep,
and that there may have been a greater intensity of
flavor even than his and my experiments may have
indicated.

Keep in mind, that during the period in question, the
Chinese were strongly influenced by their
Mongol/Turkic invaders, and that many of the recipes
were strongly influenced by the steppe people, who
were notorious herders.

I'm sending your question and my response over to
Paul, and I'll see that his response gets fwded over
here to Cook's List.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,