[Sca-cooks] clockwork rotisserie

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 23 05:28:20 PDT 2002

Actually there is quite a bit available on these if you look.

It's scattered among entries and books on fireplaces, metalwork,
 ironwork, clocks, engineering, technology, etc.
General sources include-
Yarwood, Doreen. The British kitchen : housewifery since Roman times /
Doreen Yarwood. London : Batsford, 1981.
Feild, Rachael.Irons in the fire : a history of cooking equipment /
Rachael Feild.Ramsbury, Marlborough, Wiltshire : Crowood Press, 1984.

A Contact person would be Alice Ross who writes a column
for the Journal of antiques. Online see--
http://www.journalofantiques.com/hearthapr01.htm

There have been articles in Early American Life/Homes or
EAL regarding their use on American or Colonial fireplaces.
Almost any recreated colonial working kitchen in  various
historic houses and parks have at least one. (Although at times
I have noticed that more than  one of these is for show only.
They were incorrectly strung and wouldn't allow the spit to turn
if actually put to use.)

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway