[Sca-cooks] Re: clockwork rotisserie

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 25 17:24:26 PDT 2002

There is a rotisserie with gears illustrated in Scappi's
Opera from 1570. Found it tonight while looking
for pie illustrations.

You can see it on the web at:
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1619.htm

the article says--
"Clockwork was a primal concept of that age, and we see it again in
 Bartolemeo Scappi's spring-driven spit for cooking meat. Here's one of
the
 few period pictures of a sixteenth-century watch mechanism. It's being
used
 on a heroic scale to turn three large spits at constant speed.

Click on the highlighted text and illustration appears.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis