[Sca-cooks] What does Saunders taste like?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 14:43:48 PDT 2002

On 23 Aug 2002, at 17:40, BaronessaIlaria at aol.com wrote:

> I have not tasted Saunders, though I am planning to make peach pits
> and thinking about making the "strawberries" in the Florilegium. Can
> anyone give me an idea what it is similar to or what substitutions
> might work?
>
> Ilaria

Red food coloring.  Saunders is primarily a food coloring.  Some
folks claim it has a mild flavor they can detect, but I cannot.
Certainly, in peach pits, the cinnamon and almond flavors will
drown out any slight taste the saunders has.

If you cannot get saunders, then I'd suggest using small amounts
of the paste-style food coloring used by cake decorators, rather
than the little squeeze bottles of liquid you get in the supermarket.

Saunders can vary in color from a bright paprika to a darker brick
color.  If you have a choice, I'd use a dark red coloring, not a fire-
engine shade.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net