[Sca-cooks] Freezing fava beans?

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 19:08:06 PDT 2002

I freeze beans all the time, and the only problems I have had is when I
don't use enough liquid and they dry out a bit. Since you are going to
cook them to mush, I don't think it should be any problem.

If I were making that dish, I would consider using Egyptian fava beans -
used in  ful. It's probably a cheat, since the recipe specifies large
beans, and the Egyptian ones are small, but the skins aren't as much a
problem. Cook the stuff enough, and you don't have to skin them...  I
got them in one of the odd little stores along 10th Avenue just south of
the Port Authority, and Sahedi has them, too. You might find them in
Jersey in an Egyptian neighborhood, but you might not... I could only
find the canned version in Jersey City. (The Egyptian friend who
introduced me to ful didn't know they were dried beans... he'd never
seen one that didn't come out of a can.)

Congratulations on 21 years! That's terrific! Hope you enjoyed your
evening.

Anne