[Sca-cooks] TASTES OF ANGLO-SAXON ENGLAND

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Sun Aug 25 12:33:47 PDT 2002

> We were talking about this book back in July.
> I went out of town for work and finally got and
> looked at my copy.  If anyone is still thinking about
> purchasing a copy I don't recommend it.

I agree - I bought a copy at Pennsic without really looking at the contents.
She makes her recipes up, as she says, by combining what she knows from
Roman and from post-1500 recipes with a heavy reliance on medical texts.
When I saw her recommending "Delicious" apples for one dish, I was finished.

> By the way, honeybutter is declared "Period" and a recipe given.

Yes, as in "Honey butter was a staple table dish through the medieval
period" or somesuch. I could go get my copy, but it doesn't desrve the
effort.

Rosine