[Sca-cooks] Re:Pie illustrations was And now, and ON-topic post, to make up for my last one...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 25 17:05:14 PDT 2002

Robert May's book The Accomplisht Cook which is out in a facsimile from
Prospect
Books shows how to decorate pies and cut pies as well as pie forms in a
number of illustrations.
It's a 1685 text; the work was first published in 1660. This facsimile
is based upon the corrected second edition of 1665 that was revised by
May. Scappi's Opera has numerous illustrations but no pies being served.

There are numerous pies shown in artworks. You might try and look at a
copy of Frans Franken's Lazarus at the Rich Man's Table which is dated
circa 1605 for its details of a mince pie. The crust is broken and the
contents are being served with a spoon.

Or take a look at:
http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/ariadata/image/SK\ORG\SK-A-4646.org.jpg  for
Still Life with Turkey Pie, 1627 by Pieter Claesz.
Or see the Art Institute of Chicago for another: Claesz, Pieter Dutch,
1597/98-1660 Still Life 1625/30.

If you'll take a look at some of the Flemish or Dutch still lifes, you
will find pies in several of those works.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway