[Sca-cooks] Re: Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 25 19:54:58 PDT 2002

Regina Romsey commented:
> The footnote
> just gives the work she got the statement from, which doesn't do much to
> clarify that the original source probably doesn't say that: "honey-butter
> was a popular spread throughout the Middle Ages." Rather, if I have followed
> the discussion on this list correctly, that it was used medicinally, and we
> have no evidence that it was used as an everyday or even feast day
> condiment.

Correct. Unless the author has come across something that the folks on
this list have not, I think the author is drawing awlfully wide
conclusions from a small bit of evidence. And I seriously doubt she has
found any such evidence since if it was "a popular spread throughout the
Middle Ages", someone here would have seen that evidence somewhere.

> I may use a sweet tasting cherry flavored cough syrup when I
> have a cold, but that doesn't mean I serve it over ice cream or pancakes.

Oooh. An interesting parallel to get this idea across.

> Hmmmm.... I wonder if that would work the next time I run out of Maple
> syrup....?

The cherry flavored cough syrup? Or the honey butter? I sure hope
the latter.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net