[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Food Question

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Aug 25 22:57:55 PDT 2002

Was written:

> Isn't Iceland prinicply volcanic rock like the Hawaiian islands? In which
> case I would think the rock would be pretty uniform across the island and
> probably not that interesting geologically.

Actually it is the fact that Iceland is indeed volcanic is precisely one of
the reasons why it is so interesting.  That being said in addition to all
those very interesting igneous rocks you have its quite spectacular
glacial/volcanically derived geomorphology.  Did you know that the island
sits on the mid Atlantic ridge and is thus being rifted apart?  The island's
geomorphology strongly affected its history and I want to visit the features
that are described in the sagas.  It is my understanding that some of the
hot springs are hot enough to cook food in (obligatory food reference).

Daniel Raoul