[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Food Question

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 25 22:33:36 PDT 2002

Daniel Raoul replied to me with:
>> Isn't Iceland prinicply volcanic rock like the Hawaiian islands? In which
>> case I would think the rock would be pretty uniform across the island and
>> probably not that interesting geologically.
>>
> Actually it is the fact that Iceland is indeed volcanic is precisely one of
> the reasons why it is so interesting.  That being said in addition to all
> those very interesting igneous rocks you have its quite spectacular
> glacial/volcanically derived geomorphology.

Okay, this makes sense.

> Did you know that the island
> sits on the mid Atlantic ridge and is thus being rifted apart?

Yep.

> The island's
> geomorphology strongly affected its history and I want to visit the features
> that are described in the sagas.

Are the sagas actually detailed enough to be able to pick out various
geographic features?

> It is my understanding that some of the
> hot springs are hot enough to cook food in (obligatory food reference).

Oh! is there documentation of this? I believe Nanna mentioned on earlier

messages about Iceland that the idea that each homestead has a hot
spring for bathing and such is quite far from the truth.

Any information on this actually being done, if even in just very

specific spots would be a nice addition to this file:
no-fire-cook-msg  (14K)  6/ 9/00    Period no-fire and solar cooking.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/no-fire-cook-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net