[Sca-cooks] Fw: [trimaris-temp] CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU & HOURS

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 26 05:15:04 PDT 2002

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>From: vongraph <vongraph at comcast.net>
>>Actually I have never seen anything other then the Juevos Ranchos  on menus
>>used for the term ranch eggs, then again I do not speak spanish so I can be
>>very very wrong, either way its scrambled eggs, sausage, onions etc sort of
>>latin dish of scrambled eggs and meats:) we even have salsa hot sauce etc
>>for them :)
>>
>>Elric
>
>The issue is that you have spelled the word wrong.
>
>The correct spelling is "huevos - there is no "j". "Huevos means "eggs".
>
>I also assume you mean "Huevos Rancheros", a dish with which i am
>very familiar - since as far as i know "juevos ranchos" doesn't mean
>anything.
>
>"Rancho" means "ranch" (more or less). "Ranchero" means
>"ranch-style". So "Huevos Rancheros" means "Ranch-style eggs" (sort
>of like the Farmers Breakfast, only Mexican).

Interesting. We may have hit on one of the two known cuisines New
York City has a reputation for being deficient in (the other being
barbecue, but this, after a few fine but abortive attempts has been
largely rectified) , but the description above is unlike the huevos
rancheros I've seen, which are almost invariably eggs fried in olive
oil or lard until golden on the outside and softish in the middle,
and topped with a sort of cooked salsa picante, chopped onion,
cilantro leaves, etc.

Could it be that huevos rancheros are more Tex-Mex than Mexican, and
therefore could be subject to the same kind of after-the-fact
traditionalism we've seen in Texas chili and in chowders, in other
parts of the country? And therefore open to a somewhat wider spectrum
of interpretation?

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER