[Sca-cooks] strong vinegar

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Aug 26 08:09:08 PDT 2002

I've tried it two ways, now.  The recipe (which I can't quote exactly
right now because it's *somewhere else* in my post-camping/pre-Europe
house) indicated that one should be able to *taste* the vinegar, so I
took it to mean more than a hint of the stuff.
The first time, I used cider vinegar (not the best choice, but it was
what I had in the cupboard). 1/4 cup was not enough, and 1/2 cup tasted
pretty good, but on reflection, was a little *too* much--I think the
turnips soaked up a bit of it, and wanted to bite back.
The second time, I remembered that I also had a garganto-sized bottle of
balsamic vinegar, and I used 1/3 cup of that.  It tasted perfect.
I did not know if the recipe's author meant "strong vinegar" in contrast
to other sour fluids like verjuice, nor did I have any idea of what
Andalusians would have considered "regular" vinegar, let alone "strong"
vinegar.  I also don't have ready access to any of the modern "strong"
vinegars.  So I used a regular-strength stuff, and went for what I
thought the intended effect was.
I must say (ever-so-modestly) that it made a great camping dish, too. I
hope to post my redaction on it sometime, but may not get a chance until
after mid/late September, as I'm about to be off-line for 2 and 1/2
weeks.
--Maire, who has her passport, and her euros, and her pounds, and gets
to go pick up plane tickets today! Wahoo!