[Sca-cooks] Fw: [trimaris-temp] CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU & HOURS

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 26 09:35:33 PDT 2002

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>There must be regional variants, then....the "huevos rancheros" with
>which I am familiar are a dish of not-scrambled eggs (can't remember if
>they're lightly poached or over-easy), served with salsa, cheese, black
>beans, and warm tortillas....heaven on a plate!
>--maire
>
>>  the huevos
>  > rancheros I've seen, which are almost invariably eggs fried in olive
>>  oil or lard until golden on the outside and softish in the middle,
>>  and topped with a sort of cooked salsa picante, chopped onion,
>  > cilantro leaves, etc.

I think these two aren't too dissimilar. Over easy, at least, are
fried eggs (but in Europe and European-influenced cultures -- the UK
notwithstanding -- fried eggs are often fried in a lot of fat, almost
deep-fried, as opposed to simply putting them in a hot, lightly
greased pan). And then there's the difference between a garnish and
an accompaniment. I would think the salsa and cheese are garnishes,
while the tortillas and beans I would consider an accompaniment.

So I don't see this as too much of a case of regional variants,
especially since I don't live in a region known for this cuisine. I
can't swear I haven't seen HR served with torillas and beans.

So, here's another, related question: why black beans? I have a
restaurant near my home, more or less Latino-Caribbean cuisine, and a
lot of what they sell comes with either black or red beans. It seems
as if you can tell if the customer is Cuban or Dominican when they
order the black beans, or Puerto Rican or Mexican if they order the
red. Texans, I gather, would rather have pintos, but will settle for
red. (This is, of course, vastly generalized.) I prefer black beans
myself, but I'm pretty clearly not Cuban (besides, I prefer chick
peas over both). Anybody have any comments on this cultural bean
delineation?

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER